Saturday, January 9, 2010

A World Away Yet So Close to Home....




Happy 2010! I hope that this post finds all of you having just had a very happy and blessed Christmas season. We couldn't have had a better month ourselves. Right now, we are ankle deep in snow. The unusually cold weather we are getting here in England is what my British friend has told me is caused by a "Negative Atlantic Ocean Oscillation" (???) (ie: High pressure over Iceland). I'm no meterologist so we just refer to this in our house as: It is COLD COLD COLD! I don't think it's been over 0 degrees celsius for a week. This cold weather is having not only a physical effect on this Southern girl but also a mental one as well. I had a somewhat frightening epiphany earlier today: "I am turning into Mr. Rogers". This is no joke. I caught myself and had to laugh and then cry. I came in this afternoon from taking Liam to soccer practice, opened the Hall coat closet, took off my heavy winter parka and then proceeded to put on my zip-up "cardigan thingy" that I wear EVERY day. Seriously. Every day. JUST LIKE MR. ROGERS DOES!! It's blue, it's boring and it's starting to make me feel really old. (But it's SOOOO cold!) So to offset this somewhat depressing revelation, I headed to Salisbury this afternoon to see if I could "Un-frump" my "frumpy" winter wardrobe. You see, as a Georgia gal, we just don't ever have to worry about cold weather so we don't own any "cute" cold-weather clothes. The few times I can remember it getting really cold and snowing growing up in Athens, we simply donned 'Roman Meal' Whole Wheat plastic bread bags on our feet and adhered them with rubber bands above our calves. Who needs expensive Gortex boots?


Now, fast-forward 30 years to this frigid Island, and I have daily decisions to make.... like: Do I wear the one pair of black leather gloves I own that are not water proof nor warm or do I go for function and wear Clark's water-proof sky gloves? Do I wear boots that are stylish and look great with my jeans or do I wear ones that will prohibit me from falling on the ice? Do I fix my hair and forgo the hat today or do I cover up with one of those full head/ear covering wool hats with dangly thingies that looks like my 2-year old daughters?


These are the tough decisions I make daily. If only I were from Chicago like several of my friends, I wouldn't have these issues. So just to let you know I did have a bit of success today and I bought myself a "cute" pair of hiking boots. Wait, is that an oxymoron? Oh well, it's a start.
Speaking of starting, I have no idea where to begin with covering the last six weeks of the Childers' activities. We have been so busy that I am somewhat embarrassed that we didn't get around to doing Christmas cards...that is a first in 7 years! (Don't worry, next year I am all over it!) There were so many wonderful things that happened over Christmas. Here are a few of the highlights:

We celebrated Thanksgiving at our home with 3 of our favorite British families. The food was excellent but the company was even better...made us feel like we were back at home :)

We then followed that up with another Thanksgiving meal two days later on the base with 50 other good friends. Everyone brought a dish and we ate like Kings and Queens, or rather James' and Elizabeths'. The children played on a bouncy castle and our friend Frank taped one of the Thanksgiving Day Football games and we had it playing on a large screen TV. Really working hard to create a true "American" Thanksgiving.

In December, both Liam and Natalie were in their school Christmas plays. Natalie was an angel and looked like a princess but refused to wear her halo......no comment. Liam was a Shephard in Newton Tony Primary School's "Nativity Story". Both events were absolutely amazing and brought tears to this proud Mama's eyes.

We celebrated Christmas Eve at the children's service at Salisbury Cathedral. Mary and Joseph made their entrance into the cathedral with real donkeys, a host of Angels (children) sang from the balcony, and the children's choir serenaded those of us celebrating the great anticipation of Christ's birth with many beautiful christmas carols. It was spectacular and the kid's had twinkles in their eyes for hours afterwards.

New Year's Eve was somewhat mellow but absolutely delightful. Our next door neighbors hosted us at their house for dinner. A small group of about 15 of us rang in the New Year and then proceeded to play a "Murder Mystery" game until the wee hours. It was hilarious and let's just say I'm no good at lying and Clark killed me off early during one of the rounds....hmmm.


I feel like there will be much to write about as 2010 gets into it's full swing. I rejoice that we are where we are and am so grateful that God brought us to this little space on earth for this season of our lives. Make no mistake, God has all of you where you are for good reasons. Give thanks for the little things and look forward to all He has in store for you this year! Be blessed friends, you are so dearly loved and thought of much. Cindy

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous first entry, Cindy! I didn't realize you were in England for 3 years. How wonderful. I've visited Salisbury and loved it, especially the cathedral. Be sure to also check out the huge one nearby in Ely. I look forward to reading more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Barbara, Yes, we are loving England, snow, rain and all. It's a bit of an adjustment but we're soaking it all up...no pun intended. It's not my first entry....maybe my 5th or 6th though. I started them when we moved here in August/September time frame. I need to get more regularly back in it and plan to do so in 2010...just been too busy the last month or so. And Yes, thanks for the info on Ely..will check into that. ;) Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, just checked...it's my 11th entry who knew.... time flies!

    ReplyDelete